Laboratory for Advanced Medicine is an AI-driven healthcare company focused on commercializing early cancer detection tests from a simple blood draw. For over 10 years, Laboratory for Advanced Medicine has used AI on over 100,000 samples to identify cfDNA methylation patterns that detect cancer early. The company is currently in clinical trials in the US and China with its leading product to detect liver cancer. Its pipeline includes colon and breast cancer, as well as 20 other cancers.
Laboratory for Advanced Medicine is headquartered in Irvine, CA, with R&D, GMP and CLIA facilities in Irvine, CA and West Lafayette, IN, Guangzhou and Beijing.
Our leadership team is made up of passionate and experienced science and business experts with diverse industry backgrounds, devoted to make a difference in patient lives.
Kenneth Chahine, Ph.D., J.D.
Chief Executive Officer
- As Executive Vice President and General Manager of Ancestry.com, a 1.6 billion dollar technology company, Ken led the launch of AncestryDNA, a large-scale e-commerce genetic genealogy test with revenues of > $500M. In 2019, Ken led the launch AncestryHealth, an e-commerce LDT genetic health product on a next-generation sequencing (NGS) platform.
- Prior to Ancestry, he was the President and Chief Executive Officer at Avigen, a biopharmaceutical company that develops drugs for chronic neurological disorders, where he led the company in its mission to acquire, develop and commercialize innovative gene therapeutics.
- Dr. Chahine is a patent attorney and on the faculty at the University of Utah’s College of Law currently teaching new venture development, intellectual property and licensing.
- He earned a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of Michigan, a J.D. from the University of Utah College of Law, and a B.A. in Chemistry from Florida State University.
Richard A. Brand, MBA
Chief Financial Officer
Richard Brand is Chief Financial Officer of Laboratory for Advanced Medicine.
Previously, Mr. Brand served as the Chief Financial Officer of BeyondSpring (NASDAQ: BYSI). He was Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Point Capital, a consultant of the Whalehaven Group of Funds and a registered representative with Andrews Securities where his responsibilities included acting as dealer manager for Keating Capital. Mr. Brand also served as Managing Director of Caisse des Dépôts Securities and FleetBoston Robertson Stephens.
Mr. Brand was Head of Origination and Managing Director of Prospect Capital Management and an Investment Advisor and Personnel of Prospect Energy Corp. At Prospect, he focused on sourcing and screening potential Prospect Energy investments. Mr. Brand was with Prospect Capital Management since October 2004.
Mr. Brand began his career as an Investment Banker at PaineWebber in 1980. As a banker and private equity professional, he structured debt financings for a number of oil and gas companies. He served as the Managing Director of Robertson Stephens, where he served on Bayview Fund, the partners’ investment fund and was a Council Member at Gerson Lehrman Group and Advisory Council Member at Global Capital Service Group. He served as Vice President of Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette, where he helped establish the Private Funds Group.
Mr. Brand is a member of the Global Association of Risk Professionals. He is the Series 7 – General Securities Representative and the Series 63 – Uniform Securities Agent State Law Examination Securities Representative. He received his MBA in Finance from University of Chicago and his BA in Economics and English from University of Iowa (Phi Beta Kappa).
Richard Van Etten, MD, PhD
Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Van Etten is Chief Medical Officer for Laboratory for Advanced Medicine. Dr. Van Etten is also the Director of the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center at UCI.
He was previously the Director of the Tufts Cancer Center and Chief of the Tufts Hematology and Oncology Division.
Dr. Van Etten is the recipient of the Zucker Family Research Prize and the Lucille P. Markey Scholar Award. He is also a Carl and Margaret Walter Scholar and has published over 90 published peer reviewed papers.
He is a member of the American Association for Advancement of Sciences, American Society of Hematology, American Society of Clinical Oncology and the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. He is a contributing Editor to UpToDate, and on the editorial board of the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Van Etten has board certifications in Hematology and Internal Medicine, is accredited by the American Board of Internal Medicine and is affiliated with the Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, Saddleback Memorial Medical Center and UC Irvine Medical Center.
Dr. Van Etten received his PhD in Biophysics and his MD from Stanford University and his BS in Biology and Mathematics from MIT.
Jinjie Hu, PhD
Chief Regulatory Officer
Dr. Hu is currently the Chief Regulatory Officer for Laboratory for Advanced Medicine. Previously, she was the Lead Review Committee Chair and Senior Regulatory Scientist for In Vitro Diagnostics at the United States Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Dr. Hu was a CBER expert reviewer for applications of IVD devices detecting multiple analytes, and the principle reviewer for the scientific and regulatory review of CMC, pre-clinical and clinical sections for IVD device applications. She has collaborated with CDRH and CDER for reviewing companion diagnostic and combination devices, and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) waiver application reviews.
Dr. Hu has completed the review of manufacturing facilities and processes. She has completed pre-license/pre-approval for manufacturing facility inspections at US and international companies, as well as cGMP post-approval manufacturing quality inspections. Additionally, she served as the FDA IVD expert in WHO Technical Working Group and Product Dossier Assessment for Prequalification of Diagnostics. She also served as Quality Assurance Manager to monitor the review progression of all applications submitted to OBRR products under MUDUFA dateline and to establish standard procedures for managed review processes.
Dr. Hu was a Senior Consultant at Biologics Consulting, and the former Chair of the International Network Committee of FDA Alumni.
She continues to be a World Health Organization (WHO) advisor for the Diagnostic Prequalification Program and has been a speaker for WHO training and workshops.
Dr. Hu received her PhD in Comparative Pathology at the University of California, Davis. She was a postdoctoral Fellow at the NIAID, NIH, Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology.
Board of Directors
Shu Li, PhD
Chairman of the Board
- Member of the Committee of 100
- Founder & Chairman of WA Health Centers
- Founder & Chairman of Cellular BioMedicine Group (NASDAQ: CBMG)
- President & CEO of Jazz Semiconductor (NASDAQ: JAZ)
- SVP of Conexant Systems (NASDAQ: CNXT)
- Vice President of AlliedSignal/Honeywell (NYSE: HON)
Ken Chahine, PhD, JD
Chief Executive Officer
- Executive Vice President and General Manager of Ancestry.com
- President & CEO, Avigen
- Professor, University of Utah College of Law
- PhD, Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan
- JD, University of Utah College of Law
Chair of Nomination & Compensation Committee
- Chairman of Cellular Biomedicine Group
- CEO and Vice Chancellor for Medical Center UCI
- CEO of Long Beach Memorial Medical Center
- CEO of President Kaiser Permanente SCA
Nadir Patel, MBA
Chair of Finance & Audit Committee
- Independent director serving in private capacity with extensive international experience
- Worked and studied in multiple countries abroad in North America, Europe and nearly a decade in Asia-Pacific
- Former Chief Financial Officer with responsibilities of strategic planning, corporate finance, risk management and performance
- Extensive knowledge of corporate governance and compliance practices through past participation on public sector Boards
- MBAs from New York University’s Stern School of Business, the London School of Economics and Political Science, and the HEC Paris School of Management
Lebin Wu, MD
- Chairman, Chinese Academy of Sciences Holdings ($100B assets under management)
- Founding Director, Xinova
- Co-Chair, International Capital Conference
- Chairman, Pan-Pacific Energy Corp
- Director of the Board, Legend Holding
- Chairman & President, BioSino Bio Technology & Sciences
- Vice President, Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Member, China Entrepreneur Club
Alan List, MD
- President & CEO, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Physician-in-Chief, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Morsani Endowed Chair, Malignant Hematology, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Professor & Director of Translational & Clinical Research, University of Arizona
Christopher De Rosa, MBA
- President, US Commercial, Cigna HealthCare
- Chairman, Social Wellth
- President, Western Region, Cigna HealthCare
- President, Southern California, Cigna HealthCare
Salvador B. Sarabosing Jr., CISA, CRISC, MBA
Partner and Head of Risk Advisory, Blythe Global Advisors
- Former Senior Manager, Ernst & Young
- Former Senior Manager, Grant Thornton LLP
- Former Senior Director, Ingram Micro, Inc.
- MBA University of Southern California
Richard Van Etten, MD, PhD
Director of UCI Cancer Center
- Former Director of Tufts Cancer Center
- Zucker Family Research Price and the Lucille P. Markey Scholar Award
- Carl and Margaret Walter Scholar
- Over 90 published peer reviewed papers
- PhD and MD from Stanford
Hans Keirstead, PhD
CEO, AIVITA Biomedical
- Founder and Director of Sue and Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Center
- Former CEO, Ability Biomedical (sold to Bristol Myers Squibb)
- Former CSO, Caladrius
- Former CEO, California Stem Cell
Chairman of Cellular Biomedicine Group (NASDAQ: CBMG)
- Verity Health Systems Board of Directors
- Former CEO, UCI Health
- CEO of other major health care organizations, including executive leadership in Kaiser Permanente
Edward Nelson, MD
Chief, Division of Hematology/Oncology School of Medicine
- Associate Professor of Medicine
- Associate Professor Molecular Biology & Biochemistry
- University of California Irvine
FDA Hepatology Medical Advisors
Steven-Huy B. Han, MD
UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Director, Hepatology Clinical Research Center, UCLA
- Principle Investigator of NIH Hepatitis B Clinical Research Network
- Editorial boards of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, etc
- President of the Southern California Society of Gastroenterology
Ghassan K. Abou-Alfa, MD, MBA
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Oncologist, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Professor of Medicine, Cornell University
- Chair of the NCI Task Force for Hepatobiliary Cancers
- President-Elect for the International Society of Gastrointestinal Oncology
Mindie H. Nguyen, MD, MAS, FAASLD
Stanford Cancer Institute
- Professor of Medicine and Director for the Hepatology Fellowship, Stanford University
- Chair for the AASLD Hepatitis B Special Interest Group
- Editorial Board of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Lancet etc.
Robert Gish, MD
Center of Excellence for Hepatobiliary Disease. UCSD
- President of the Hepatitis B Foundation
- Medical Director of The Hepatitis B Foundation Faculty UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy Faculty University of Nevada Reno and Las Vegas
Yujin Hoshida, MD, PhD
Liver Tumor Transitional Research Program, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Director, Liver Tumor Transitional Research Program, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
- Member, AASLD Hepatobiliary Neoplasia SIG, Global Outreach Sub-committee